How much does a dog sleep per day
Ekaterina Kastritskaya, psychologist, specialist in animal therapy, consultant on animal behavior and well-being
Sometimes dog owners think that the pet is sleeping too much or too little. How long does the dog sleep normally and what determines the duration of the dog’s sleep?
In the photo: the dog is sleeping. Photo: pexels.com
The answer to the question "How much the dog sleeps"Depends on many factors. As a rule, on average adult dogs sleep (normal) 14-18 hours a day.
What determines how much the dog sleeps per day?
- From age. Puppies and older dogs (over 7-10 years old) sleep more than older dogs. For example, a puppy sleeps about 20 hours a day for up to 3 months.
- From stress and fatigue. If the dog has experienced stress or had very busy days, she can sleep for a very long time, sometimes for days on end.
- From the level of excitement. If the dog is overexcited, she cannot fall asleep.
- From lifestyle. If a dog spends a lot of time alone and is bored, she can sleep more than a dog whose owners lead an active lifestyle.
- From the weather. Often in hot weather or on cloudy days, dogs sleep more.
- From well-being. If the dog is sick, she sleeps longer than usual.
The dog’s sleep is divided into several phases: fast, during which the dog dreams, and slow, during which the muscles relax, the body temperature decreases, breathing and heart rate slow down.